Aging in place is a growing trend among seniors who wish to remain in the comfort of their homes as they grow older. However, it also presents a unique set of challenges, with fall prevention being a top concern. Brian Winton, a TruBlue franchisee shares his expertise on fall prevention on television WDEF-TV.
Key Takeaways from Brian Winton's TV Interviews:
1. Home Safety Assessments: Brian stresses the importance of conducting home safety assessments to identify potential hazards. This includes checking for loose rugs, uneven flooring, inadequate lighting, and clutter.
2. Bathroom Modifications: Many falls occur in bathrooms. Brian recommends installing grab bars, non-slip bath mats and raised toilet seats to enhance bathroom safety.
3. Proper Lighting: Adequate lighting can significantly affect fall prevention. Brian advises ensuring that all areas of the home are well-lit, especially stairways, hallways, and entrances.
4. Handrails and Grab Bars: Installing handrails and grab bars in key areas of the home, such as staircases and shower stalls, provides much-needed support for seniors.
5. Home Maintenance: Regular home maintenance, including fixing loose handrails or steps, is crucial to prevent falls caused by structural issues.